Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Mom Looks Up To Me!!!!!

I was talking with my mom today on the phone.  It started it out in the usual frustrating manner.  She'll talk your ear off about random stuff that you've heard already.  She'll then tell you the negative aspects of the goals that you are aiming for.  She claims, "I am not a pessimist, I am a realist."

So, as our conversation continued, I became more frustrated with her.  I started to express my frustration when she said something that floored me.

She told me that she doesn't mean to sound or come off as critical or harsh.  She said she feels she was over-protective with my siblings and I.  The reason?  Fear and rejection.  She said she had been involved in "Spectacular failures" in life and she didn't want us to feel the pain of that.

She told me how proud she was of me, that she looks up to me because I am so brave.  She said she wishes she was braver, that she would go and do the things I do, that if I want to do it I will go and try it.  If I fail, I say oh well and keep going. She said if she was presented with the opportunity to do a marathon, she wouldn't have done it, not believing her to be able to do the marathon.

My mom looks up to ME!  I cried.  Never in my life would I have thought she would.  I've always known she was proud of the things I've done, but it just blew me away.

The funny thing is?  I learned to be brave from her.  I learned not to take crap, to love me for me and not let anyone tell me otherwise.

What a wonderful surprise!

Chelle }}i{{

No comments:

Post a Comment